QUESTION #1: WHY DID YOU PICK NIGERIA AS YOUR INITIAL TARGET MARKET?
- Nigeria is the fastest growing mobile phone market in the world.
- Nigeria has a birthrate of 5.5 children per mother.
- Nigeria is the 4th fastest growing populous in the world. In fact, it will outnumber the USA population by 2050. Even more astounding, Nigeria is only twice the size of California. Can you imagine the population density?
QUESTION #2: WHAT DOES "TEMBO" MEAN?
"Tembo" translates to "Elephant" in Swahili.
The reason we picked elephant, is because elephants are known for being compassionate parents in the animal kingdom.
Our education program focuses on the parents of the children, therefore, we believe elephants are a great symbol for our social enterprise.
Also, elephants are known for having an immense amount of wisdom.
QUESTION #3: WHAT IS THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE OUTFITS YOU WERE WEARING ON STAGE?
These outfits are traditional African garbs from Nigeria.
In Nigeria, it is common to give fabric as a gift. These fabrics were given to us by parents in our Tembo program as a gift and token of gratitude for Tembo educating their children.
While our CEO was living in Nigeria, we sent him our measurements so he could have a Nigerian tailor fit the clothes to our respective body types.
To get your own Tembo gear, go to...
QUESTION #4: IS TEMBO EDUCATION A FOR-PROFIT OR NON-PROFIT?
Tembo Education is a social enterprise. A social enterprise is a hybrid between a for-profit and a non-profit. For-profit to remain sustainable / scalable and non-profit because we are a for-purpose company with a social good mission.
Social enterprises have been found to be the most effective solution to solving the world’s largest problems. Pioneering a new frontier, social entrepreneurs are innovating the way business is performed to focus on the triple bottom line: People, Planet, and Profit.
There is a paradigm shift in how we address our global needs and social entrepreneurship is the answer.
QUESTION #5: HOW DOES TEMBO EDUCATE CHILDREN?
Tembo is a home-based early childhood education program that teaches parents to be their child's first and most important teachers.
Our program educates parents on how they can facilitate their child's development and education through fun and engaging activities. By involving parents in their child's learning, we build their confidence and skills as educators.
Children are educated through a very simple one-on-one model.
We train and certify Home Educators, which visit the homes of the parents and teach them 20-minute, play-based activities thru role playing. Then the parent teaches the child, all thru SMS text message instructions.
The Tembo curriculum covers all four domains of learning:
2. Social / Emotional
QUESTION #6: WHY WAS TEMBO CREATED?
We created Tembo because we believe that the current method of solving the world's problems is antiquated.
Many organizations, NGO's, and non-profits continue to provide resources and supplies for those that need it most. Albeit this is an admirable line of work and has helped millions of people; we believe that social entrepreneurship is more sustainable and scalable.
We agree with Maimonides' famous message: "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Giving to a person in need only puts a band-aid on his/her problems. However, with Tembo, we educate people at a very early age so they learn how to solve their own problems resulting in a long-term solution.
We created Tembo to be the most sustainable and scalable way to solve the world's most pressing issues.
QUESTION #7: HOW WAS TEMBO CREATED?
To make sure we were the most sustainable and scalable solution to solving the world’s most pressing issues, we asked ourselves three questions to come up with the idea for Tembo:
1. What curriculum would you use to educate?
2. How would you distribute your curriculum?
3. Where would you distribute your curriculum?
The following answers to our questions led us to create Tembo:
1. After studying the top early childhood education (ECE) curriculums across the world, we decided to use the best quality and top-ranked ECE. We knew it had to be easy to understand, evidence-based, and cover all four domains of learning to remain comprehensive. We believe every child in the world has the right to a high-quality education.
2. After studying the slums, we realized the majority of people there have mobile phones. However, most of them were non-smart phones (feature phones). Therefore, we had to come up with a solution that would be applicable to both smartphones and non-smartphones. Over 89% of the world uses SMS text messages, so we distribute our curriculum using the world’s most popular communication platform: SMS. This allows our education to be accessible to any child in the world, regardless of where they reside.
3. We knew many locations would be in need of Tembo. However, we wanted to start with a location that we felt had one of the greatest needs. We found that sub-saharan Africa is home to more 0-6 year-old children than any other region on earth. And within sub-saharan Africa, Nigeria has a birthrate of 5.5 children per mother, is the world’s 4th fastest growing population, and is the world’s fastest growing mobile phone market. Therefore, Nigeria was our target market with the greatest need for Tembo.
QUESTION #8: WHAT EDUCATION DO YOU USE?
Our education curriculum is derived from evidence-based activities comprised from Harvard University’s Developing Child, LEGO, Pearson, and PBS. It is overseen by a child neuroscience PhD who is a leading expert for Psychology Today, one of the world’s largest education platforms.
QUESTION #9: CAN I HAVE MORE THAN ONE CHILD IN THE PROGRAM?
Currently, in this version, we are only allowing one child, but we will be releasing a family package option for those that want to add more than one child.